Global Legal Counsel
Global Leading MNC
New Global Legal Setup in Malaysia
About Our Client
Our client is a Global Leading MNC in Consumer products with operations of over 190 countries with approximately 100k employee worldwide.
They are progressive, dynamic and are always looking ways to expand their footprints.
Viewing Malaysia as a high growth market with strong untapped talents, they are putting faith into a bold move to set-up their Global Legal team here that effectively will lead the legal function at the group level affecting all their market.
If you are ambitious, dynamic, adaptable and has experience practising in quality corporate legal work of any sort and is seeking for a global exposure, this is for you.
The Legal Counsel is a member of the Commercial Legal team reporting to the Senior Counsel. The job holder will be working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and will be expected to engage confidently and effectively with senior global stakeholders. The job holder will provide dedicated specialist legal and commercial advice and expertise to local legal entities, global Operations function and all relevant functions as advised from time to time. They will act as a trusted advisor to Leadership Teams and Senior Line Management to ensure informed business decisions are made to support commercial opportunities whilst always ensuring legal compliance is adhered and business risks are effectively mitigated.
The Legal Counsel is responsible for:
- Providing specialist commercial legal advice and expertise to the global Operations team, and leading and managing legal and regulatory risks of the global Operations function and Company in all aspects
- Ensuring robust corporate and functional governance is in place for internal compliance
- Delivering a high professional standard of legal support to the Company through the application of excellent counselling, drafting and negotiation skills
- Providing pragmatic and strategic advice and support to business partners and stakeholders, locally and globally
- Taking a leading role in problem-solving and decision-making in all areas of the business, and consistently working to minimize and manage commercial and legal risks
- Managing the relevant legal budgets and ensuring optimal use of legal resources to support business and strategic objectives
The Successful Applicant
- Malaysia, UK or equivalent qualified lawyer with a minimum of 6 years post qualification experience, gained either in an international law firm or as in-house counsel for a major multi-national company
- Excellent written and spoken English. Additional languages are an advantage and, in particular, written and spoken Mandarin
- Significant experience and expertise in commercial law and practice, with a proven track record of advising on complex and high-value global frameworks and cross-border transactions, development agreements, intellectual property and other operations contractual arrangements
- Excellent legal drafting skills with an ability to identify and advise on compliance risk and cross-border issues
- Strong negotiation and project management skills, and ability to plan, anticipate and manage priorities to optimise output and enhance the effectiveness of commercial solutions
- Hands-on and flexible attitude, sound commercial judgement and ability to work under pressure and to cope with unexpected and varied demands
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a high degree of emotional intelligence, with the ability to build trusted and effective relationships with peers and stakeholders
- Keeps up to date with changes in areas of law and corporate governance best practices to ensure that company transnational structures, documentation, policies and contract management processes remain current and commercially appropriate
What's on Offer
- Incredible International Legal exposure
- Great career prospect
- Rewarding culture with good remuneration and benefits